What you need is some vacuum metalizing

November 1, 2010 | By Richard Prince


I am in the final stages of restoring a 1965 Falcon convertible. It has a dash made of plastic that is chrome plated. My problem is that I can’t find a company that restores these parts. Can you help?


Many plastic automotive parts were not actually chrome plated even though they look as though they are. Instead, they have been coated with what looks like chrome by means of a process called vacuum metalizing. There are numerous businesses that offer vacuum metalizing forvintage car parts, including CV Custom Finishes (cvvacuumplaters.com) and Mueller Corporation Vacuum Metalizing (www.muellercorp .com; 508-

583-2800). Companies that do chrome plating on plastic include Advanced Plating (advancedplating. com; 800588-6686) and Chrome Tech USA (chrometechusa.com).