Can I drain the rust from my fuel tank?

January 1, 2011 | By Richard Prince


I have a 1980 Triumph TR7 with rust in the gas tank. I’m unable to locate a new tank. Do you know of any that are available? What is the possibility of filling it a couple of times and then draining it? I don’t think there’s a drain on the tank. Does the rear suspension have to be dropped to remove the gas tank?


Once rust has accumulated in the fuel tank, filling and draining it a few times will not solve the problem. You need to remove the tank and replace it or, if it’s not too badly rusted, have it repaired. New tanks are indeed available for your 1980 TR7and you can buy one from Victoria British, Ltd. (

Changing the tank in your Triumph is not an easy procedure. You do need to remove much of the rear suspension and various other parts.

Your best course of action is to get a service manual for your car if you’re going to change the tank yourself.