You can restore that gas tank

August 1, 2009 | By Richard Prince


I own a 1966 Chrysler 300 convertible that I bought brand-new. I am now trying to find a new replacement gas tank but nobody seems to make this item. Can you please help me?


I am not aware of a source for a correct reproduction gas tank for your Chrysler 300. You can have a metal fabricator make you a new tank using your old one as a guide but that will be an expensive undertaking. You don’t say what’s wrong with the original tank but I suspect that you are seeking a replacement because the old one is rusty.

There are companies, such as Gas Tank Renu (, that restore rusty tanks by repairing holes and coating the inside and outside with a chemical compound that seals them.