Is there a source for inexpensive chrome plating?

July 1, 2011 | By Richard Prince


My question relates to the chrome interior plastic trim found in many cars during the 1960s and ’70s. My car is a 1970 Buick GS. Several of the plastic chrome pieces on the interior are looking faded and worn—most notably the escutcheon pieces covering the head rest locks for the bench seats.

Do you have any recommendations for refurbishing them? I talked to one outfit and they want about $100 to do two pieces measuring 3.5” x 1.75”. Maybe this is the going rate, but I’m hoping you have some suggestions on ways to do this less expensively.

Or maybe you know about a company that can do the work in a more cost effective manner.


I don’t have a suggestion for how to inexpensively re-chrome plastic parts (or metal ones, either) so they look as good as or better than new.

If you’re willing to settle for something that looks decent but not as good as real chrome you can paint the parts with simulated chrome paint. Eastwood sells something they call EW Liquid Chrome in a kit (part #51008 ZP). Other companies, including Krylon and Testors, also sell paint meant to simulate chrome plating.

In some instances, another solution is to buy new reproduction parts. Of course, this only works when the parts are available and when the cost is less than the cost of re-plating the original parts.

Having said this, if any readers know of a plating shop that does good quality chrome plating of plastic parts for a reasonably low price, please drop us a line so that we can share the information with your fellow readers.